Cannellini Beans! AKA White Kidney Beans. I saw them in the store the other day and decided to give them a try. I’ve never bought white beans before so I had no idea what to expect or what they would go well with. I had just got home from the gym so I was craving a protein packed, fresh meal! Here is what I came up with…
A quick and easy recipe.
Cannellini Beans are high in fiber, low in calories, and have a creamy rich taste.
- 1 can Cannellini Beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- Handful of mixed greens (I used kale, swiss chard, arugula, spinach mix)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Fingerfull of parsley
- 4 Cloves of garlic (or more per preference), chopped
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 tbsp. olive oil to start (then add more when needed)
- Red Chilli Flakes for taste
- Paprika for taste
- Salt for taste
- Black pepper for taste
- Juice from one lemon
- In a medium sized non stick frying pan, add the water, 2tbsp. oil and broccoli and sauté over medium heat. Place a lid on top and let the broccoli steam for a few minutes until soft.
- Add in the onions and garlic into the broccoli and sauté for a few minutes.
- Slowly add in the greens until they begin to soften.
- Add the drained beans and the rest of olive oil and stir.
- Now season per your preference. I use a lot of salt and paprika for flavor. And of course the chili flakes!
- Once the seasoning sets in, stir in the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon juice.
- enJoi this tasty meal!
I’m sure any white beans would work for this recipe! The light nutty flavor of the beans pair perfectly with the greens and seasoning! The lemon juice sets off the flavor and the salt and olive oil really give it a warm feeling.